Sunday, February 25, 2007

Blood of Trolls

In any other time this week, I did nothing but assemble and paint my Trollblood models - Hoarluk, the light warbeasts I got from Romy, and the Mauler. They're just a few points short of 400, but I wanted to play on the 500-point weekend games, so I proxied my five MOWDC as Trollblood Champions. As always, I gave my ace game, and the results were excellent.

My 500-point Trollbloods consisted of Hoarluk Doomshaper as my warlock, two Impalers, an Axer, a DTM (Dire Troll Mauler) and a unit of Trollblood Champions.

Trollbloods Hoarluk Doomshaper vs Cryx Pirate Queen Skarre (Emp at UPCFA)

Emp has been out of the gaming circulation for a while, primarily due to his own marriage preparations. He has played last week, so that should have been good enough to shake the rust out of his system (I'd want my opponent to play his ace game as well). He had very few warjacks, a pair of bonejacks if I can remember correctly. The rest were thralls of various shapes and sizes. He even had the Atramaentous Pirates with him.

There was a point in the game where I engaged a corporeal Pistol Wraith with my DTM. I was boosting attack rolls the whole time but the rolls were mad dumb. I ended up with five fury on my DTM with the Pistol Wraith wearing a snicker on his bony face.

I tried to tie up the Atramanetous Pirates on my left flank by having my Axer rush towards them. He did manage to kill only one, but since I didn't get to kill the Quartermaster, it just stood up the following turn. They broke from the melee, setting the Axer up for a charge from Bane Thralls. And the Banes did charge but as the axe swings stopped, the Axer still stood. And with a nifty Thresher, the warbeast obliterated all five Banes around him in one fell swoop literally.

When we were close to grips at the center of the table, Skarre got six extra Focus via Sacrificial Lamb. Hoarluk's response to that was tagging her with Dhunia's Rage and forcing her to forfeit her movement or action via a Far-Struck Accursed. With all avenues closed and my following turn spelling an assassination setup, Emp promptly threw in the towel.

Result: Hoarluk Doomshaper victorious.

Trollbloods Hoarluk Doomshaper vs Four Star Syndicate Magnus the Traitor(Jake at UPCFA)

Jake has been doing pretty good with himself. As I fought him, he was the top WMPH player at the current ranking. He may have been playing handicapped though, as he forgot to bring his heavy warjacks (Jake's used to playing a lot of heavy warjacks, as opposed to the current local infantry-heavy trend).

He got to reduce one of my Impalers to critical condition by a Frenzy-ed Renegade. He'll just keep rolling damage so long as he hits its target with Shredder. And needing only 6 to hit with 2d6, it was bad luck he rolled a 4. The Renegade was promptly reduced to scrap afterwards.

With Magnus in line, the Axer got powered up with Rage from my DTM, and Fortune and Rush from Hoarluk Doomshaper. The Traitor was brought down by two mighty swings from the Axer's great axe after trampling over the Renegade's wreckage.

Result: Hoarluk Doomshaper victorious.

Trollbloods Hoarluk Doomshaper vs Highborn Covenant Ashlynn D'Elysse (Pork at Hobby Haven)

After several games, I got the hang of playing with Trollbloods. But Pork brought up a vicious shot from Alten Ashley, grinding down one of my warbeasts' Spirit (forcing me to heal it later). I had to take care of it as fast as I can. An Impaler with Far Strike and Fortune boosting it's attack roll made short work of the monster hunter.

Pork also had an insane amount of infantry with him. My DTM made a Fast Food move, trampling over several Steelheads and snacking at the same time. Too bad it had such a low MAT, and a pair of Halberdiers stuck at the DTM while it was moving away. Eventually, the Highborn mercs brought down the big badass monster.

I tried locking down Ashlynn with Hoarluk's Dhunia's Rage like I did with Skarre. Unfortunately, the Llaelese warcaster proved to be more tenacious than that. Pork responded by calling up Roulette on his turn. I tried caster-kill via a charge from my Trollblood Champions but none of them even scored a single hit (if only that Bokur wasn't too far away). There was absolutely no way I could have hit Ashlynn with anything on that turn.

But as serendipity would have it, I had Hoarluk put Fortune and Far Strike on my remaining Impaler. With the Impaler starting at the back arc of one of my Trollblood Champions, I moved its nice 5 inches and positioned it lined up against Ashlynn. Since hitting my own models wasn't affected by Roulette, boosting the hit gave me 3, 3 and 6 (and needing only 3 to hit, the two 3's gave me the critical slam that I needed)! The Champion slammed onto Ashlynn, knocking her down. The Axer she charged the turn before flashed a toothy grin before pummeling her with autohit boosted damage P+S15 swings.

Result: Hoarluk Doomshaper victorious.

No comments: