Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Gorten Grundback

Presently, there's only one local player who uses the Rhulic warcaster, Gorten Grundback - Zig of Hobby Haven. I've heard many stories about his old list with two Drillers and how brutal it could be at eliminating any opponent that stands in his way. Pork often recounts how his Ashlynn got grabbed by the Rhulic heavy `jack and literally got drilled to death.

I have faced that force once using Kommander Sorscha. I was wary, of course, of when Zig will pop Landslide. It was still the time when Prime Remix wasn't released yet, so Sorscha's Icy Gaze was still 360 degrees effective. I got the "whoosh" in early, popped Icy Gaze and took care of his Gorten.

The next time we faced, Zig took to a calculator and remade a list using the new Seaforge Alliance Commission contract. Honestly, I've never really read much on any of the new contracts and preferred to get surprised later on as I play. And surprised did I indeed get! Zig set up his force on his side of the table with THREE Ogrun Bokurs! Not only that, he got some of his Hammerfall High Shields with advanced deployment, too!

I don't know Zig that well and his playing style switched from heavy defense on most part of the game to all-out on the last turns. Early on he cast Solid Ground and upkept it for most part of the game, rendering my mortars useless. He's also one of the few players I've matched against that do not move certain models at all. The only time his Eiryss moved was because I gambled on baiting him with a rear charge on a Blood of Kings Vlad.

But I guess the greatest flaw of Gorten is his low FOC of 5 and sluggish SPD of 4. It was indeed on those factors that I worked around my tactics on. BOK Vlad will have a SPD of 9, which guarantees outmaneuvering if played right. Sorscha will definitely outrun the Rhulic while Irusk won't be charged by him at all, unless he gets Pathfinder somehow (via Rupert most probably).

Gorten will probably be used primarily with an Eiryss, so I guess I have to kill that one off somehow. And hopefully I'd have an Eiryss to pose as an additional threat.

I like Gorten's Concussion and Landslide. It's good that he can work for Khador. Maybe when we get to play 1000 points, I can use him as a second WC. Well, sometime in the far future ^_^

No comments: