Monday, February 19, 2007

Fred's Iron Lich Asphyxious

Fred (Escalona, one of our more regular photogs) has been consistent with using the Lich for a big percentage of his WM/H gaming. He's won games with it via raining Breath of Corruption or Hellfire, or face up Soulsplitter slaughterfest. And in the months of constant playing, Fred's learned to go aggressive especially with the addition of Tartarus in his forces.

Fred's Asphyxious is tricky. From my point of view, he stays far away and blasts you with channeled spells through a lot of Deathrippers. And with his Consuming Blight, he can outright go for assassination even if you camp on your FOC or have FURY to transfer damage. But at times, he Shadow Wings real close, taking advantage of his fast movement and reach weapon.

In my recent game against him, he dropped the use of his Bane Thralls and Tartarus, and coined in some Nyss Hunters. It was different but I managed to confuse his Nyss with a Superiority Kodiak running towards them. I kinda baited them in charging my Manhunter, so that they'd clump up. Irusk's Airburst took care of that promptly.

My gameplan was survival plus surgical removal. I was trying to position everything for an acceptable survival rate, but at the same time, they should be able to deal out some effective damage also taking out high-threat models before they expire. I've seen Asphyxious wipe out units in one turn so I used Irusk's Undying Loyalty defensively, and added Grigorovich's Bear Strength for good measure. Too bad Fred held back when I expected him to charge in. I would've wanted to roll dice for Tough AND for Undying Loyalty just in case.

And as I used Greylord Ternion again, I had to keep them alive and close by to take care of Fred's Pistol Wraiths that might stray in too close. I also didn't use their Blizzard to block LOS to my units. Maybe he saw it, maybe he didn't, but that was done purposely to get his units closer, in shooting range as much as possible. They were also in Irusk's control area, so they should survive being shot at by Pistol Wraiths if needed be.

His Deathrippers got caught in melee with my MOWDC and Winterguard. Even without their officer attachment, they performed quite admirably. Grigorovich's Bear Strength and Irusk's Undying Loyalty somewhat ensures their survivability enough for them to unload their CRA on some poor critter on the receiving end. CRA is nice as it is. CRA POW 18 is mad awesome!

Fred did concede when his Bokur didn't finish off enough Winterguard as he planned, and his remaining Pistol Wraith being engaged by Widowmakers, bad dice and all.

1 comment:

F said...

nice review, Kim.

thanks dude.