Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Man In The Machine

It's a rarity that Chicco Cuema Quema breaks out his Khador to play a game against us whenever we play at Hobby Haven. But there was one day that he honored me a game to go up against his 4-model Karchev list.

I've never seen that wargroup in action. It's either I wasn't present when he did play, or I was already playing a game at the same time. Basically, all that I knew of Karchev is from what I've read and from the bits I picked up when he was being discussed. And basically, as I still do not own a Karchev model at current time, I don't get to read him as I do the other warcasters.

At first blush, you'd see three warjacks on a list as godawfully slow. With my usual play, it's Vlad's Forced March or Irusk's Superiority that breaks the usual Khadoran-warjacks-are-slower-than-molasses mold. My God, Karchev warjacks are bloody maneuverable and gets in your face insanely fast.

I was using Butcher that time we gamed. Giving me first turn, I rushed up my whole force, throwing all caution to the wind and hoping I could weather the Behemoth's bombards. I got served straight up with a classic Turbine Tow powerslide. I can't recall specifically but I remember that between those three warjacks, a big chunk of my force was obliterated on just that powerslide turn.

I did win that game, I think by some funky Greylord move and finishing up with a massive Butcher charge on Karchev's rear arc with full FOC. But it made me want to own a Karchev, too.

As I'm still saving for some more Khadoran stuff, I took a try at using Karchev on a separate occasion. I faced off against Jake that time, and he used Darius. Naturally, I made many mistakes on that game. But I was enlightened with the use of headlocks and armlocks ^_^

Chicco's approach, as he was spectator to the game, was different from mine. He likes to use Karchev's spells for the finishing moves. I, on the other hand, preferred a more direct approach, using FOC for boosts or extra attacks (in Karchev's case, extra attacks). Knocking down a target via Iron Curtain and Karchev auto-hitting with his high-damage axe was my ideal game play. I did win that game, but can't remember much details, too (this one was unrecorded since there was only that game played that day).

If I were to get Karchev, I'd have to get another Kodiak as well. Fast-moving all-terrain Iron Curtain Kodiaks. But I guess that can wait.

+++

Reassembled my broken MOW Kovnik and put some more paint on one MOWDC Demolisher. Had to juryrig a paperclip for the Kovnik's flag pole. Gotta love Greco adhesive ^_^

No comments: