Monday, April 16, 2007

Page 5 FTW

We've recently implemented gaming our WARMACHINE and HORDES with the default time limits, 45 minutes for 300-point games and 60 minutes for 500-point games. So far, I've done pretty well with more Page 5 in the bloodstream. Very little convenience of time for baiting tactics.

I've played a lot of starter box action with the Trollbloods warpack. I haven't lost as of current writing so I have done well using Chief Madrak Ironhide, a pair of Impalers and an Axer. I must say, HORDES as a whole is frightening with their damage-dealing potential. I've always heard and read about it, now I have solid proof of it.

I've also played 500 points using the Old Witch of Khador. This one was against Obi's Commander Adept Sebastian Nemo. As expected, Obi was a lot sharper this time around, using terrain and fellow models to screen his warcaster. With a streak of luck, my Manhunter managed to tie up his Stormclad for two full turns, the Cygnaran warjack missing all melee attacks horribly. I also pumped out Page 5 here full force, giving up my Man-O-War Demolition Corps and Widowmakers to position my forces better and draw his forces in even more.

One of the more funky moves I liked was casting Slaughter on the Scrapjack inside Gorman's smokes, casting Murder of Crows in the center of Obi's expensive Stormblade unit, using Unseen Path and `porting the Scrapjack right smack in there. The remaining Stormblades was deftly put down.

The best move in that game by far is more serendipitous than actually planned. I was supposed to activate Gorman first, and flinging Rust towards the Stormclad so that the Manhunter can dismantle more metal from the `jack. Instead, I was left with a yet-to-activate Gorman and the Old Witch. Nemo can be charged by the remaining Demolishers but then again, it'd be way more rewarding if the Old Witch can kill Nemo instead.

And so it hit me.

I activated Gorman first so that he can put the Old Witch in a cloud with Smoke Bomb. Then activating the Witch, I used Unseen Path and displaced her from inside the cloud and reappear inside the upkept Murder of Crows very near Nemo. I then declared her to charge and the rest was history.

I also got to play Rogue Trooper at da Shak after all that WMH action. It was one of GW's (if not THE first) oldest boardgames. It took us to 2am but it was fun. Playing boardgames is different from the usual CCGs and miniwargaming, and the change was refreshing.

3 comments:

Obi Macapuno said...

ulitin natin mag Rogue Trooper!!!

treachery at its finest!

ika nga ni Pork, "bwahahahaha!"

Pinoy Wargamer said...

Rogue Trooper should be played EARLY! Buti na lang may tao pa sa opis nung oras na yun LOL!

Obi Macapuno said...

all board games at da Shax should be played early!

buti nga hindi tayo nag Twilight Imperium... that will take the whole morning!

:D