Thursday, May 24, 2007

Painting Competition: The Underpaid and Overworked

From Arvin on RHGC:

The backbone of any battleforce is made up of the underappreciated trooper. To showcase these normally overlooked units, we will hold a painting competition featuring units only from the Troops and Core choices. A player may enter one(1) unit from either the Troops selection for 40K or a Core choice from WFB. Vehicles, Terminators, charoits, warmachines, monsters and diorama entrees are not eligible.

Further details TBA

+++

I've decided to enter this competition with a five-man squad of renegade Howling Griffons. The fluff behind that is that this particular company fell to pride and vanity, discarding the ideals of the strict Howling Griffons and turning to Chaos, applying their martial prowess and taking extreme pride with their victories.

BASEWORK

I have skimmed through several White Dwarf magazines and have settled on taking a different approach to basework - urban-themed bases. I have already started with the five bases which I'll mount the models on.

1. I superglued five slotted bases on a used Globe callcard, making sure I glued the bases on the back of the callcard (the one with the silver rub-off part). This is so that I can get the smooth surface for the base. I also used Greco as my adhesive (a new favorite, no more Loctite or Bulldog for me).

2. After a few minutes and making sure the superglue had already dried, I carefully cut the bases with the callcard surface using a utility cutter. I had originally planned to sand off the rough edges with a rotary tool, but going at them again with the cutter worked fine, too.

3. For added texture on the base surface, I sliced several thin strips of plasticard and some paperclips. I also glued on an old resin Terminator arm (or what's left if it).

4. After all the glue has set, I spraybombed the five bases with Bosny Flat Black.

Sorry, no WIP pics. Will post what progress I can make tonight. Seventeen more days until submission.

No comments: