Monday, May 15, 2006

There is nothing permanent in this world, except Change

I'm just settling in the new office and decided to blog the stuff in my head before they evaporate.

I'm now in a big room filled with a lot of people on the third floor of the Cabrera Building. As part of the ongoing renovations around GMA, the web-based News Team has been relocated here, with me included. Yeah, I don't handle any entertainment sites anymore. Truth be told, I'm a bit disheartened about it. I've tried reseraching on better Photoshop and Flash techniques that would complement the needs of GMA entertainment. I've bought many, many magazines of various media just so I'll be more flexible with different layouts. I am disheartened because all of that effort won't be realized in the news department. It's back to corporate basics for me here.

I'm also a bit disheartened as I'm now distanced even more with the people I am familiar and fond with. Just earlier, I went on my usual lunch trip with Nelz at the Food Bliss eatery at the corner. Bloody hell! I wouldn't mind the long walk, but at that heat!?! I won't be able to just get up and pass by Jio, or Jaemark, or Nelz, or Naz, or Odie, or Albert, or Kage, or Connie, or Marco, or Kyx. Heck, I won't even get to see the pretty faces of PDR anymore! Don't get me wrong, the people here at web news are right good people. Iba lang talaga yung nakasanayan mo for over a year then suddenly you get wrenched away. I know they're just a block away and I can visit them anytime I want, too. I'm just getting used to the vertigo of the realization that I'm here now.

Honestly, I was supposed to share a long table with some other person at the new setup. I was a bit insulted. I felt being downgraded. When I started at NMI, Ate Jo gave me my own table, with my own high-end PC, and my own WACOM. When I frequented going on overnight stays at work, I was given my own cushion (heck, I was sleeping hunched on my desk before that). And when this change being full-time with web news and being distanced from my friends, I expected no less. I was crushed when I asked Sir Joe, hoping that the setup was just temporary. It was a good thing I'm a dog. And a vocal dog at that. Like I said, I was supposed to share a long table with someone else. But I guess my small request was granted and I get to keep my table all to myself. I also get the small corner space where I can stash my boxes of unsorted junk (yeah, yeah, I'll get to those before Christmas, I promise).

The old Malayan bank near the GMA MRT station has been demolished. The old Scenarios studios have been demolished. The old Frat House is being demolished as I write this (that includes the trusty old CR that I guess I tolerate using). And soon the whole NMI household will be demolished. Lots of good memories. Too many good memories that I don't even mind the bad ones.

Yeah, too many good memories.

Old office spaces have come and gone. Old tasks have come and gone. Old friends have come and gone. Remembering all those good times make me sad. But yeah, I'd still wanna remember them.

+++

[Stolen from Raf's blog]

For Gamers Only!


Do you:

- remind yourself that you have 20 life? +++ Or 40. Depending on what deck you were using. Most of the time, as far as I can remember, I'm on single-digit life when I played LOL! (Magic the Gathering CCG)

- count your successes? +++ Better than getting botches, yeah? (Vampire the Masquerade RPG)

- love 20s, Fear ones? +++ Eto na ang... BHENTEEEEEEEHHHHH! (D20 Dungeons & Dragons)

- always untap your resources, check for upkeeps, and then draw your next bet before doing anything? +++ Automatic, like Raf. But haven't been automatic for years LOL (MTG)

- try to make your saves? +++ What kind of save? Fortitude, reflex or will? Paralysis, Poison and Death Magic? Rods, Staff or Wands? Petrification or Polymorph? Breath Weapons? Spells? I DM so I tell the guys to roll for their saves LOL (Dungeons and Dragons)

- avoid base contact? +++ Avoid? I play Khorne and Khador! Base contact is the way to go (or in WM's case, at best .5" away; Warhammer & Warmachine)

- move your dwarves forward? +++ Stunties' souls are long overdue in the Warp. Bloodletter make sure of that. (Warhammer)

- know in you're heart that Gifted plus Skilled isn't worth it? +++ Fallout LOL

- mind your facing? Getting flanked sucks. +++ HELL YEAH! (Warhammer Fantasy)

- guard your harvesters? +++ Undead Ghouls can defend themselves (WC3)

- move first, shoot and then assault? +++ I don't assault with Necrons LOL (Warhammer 40K)

- bunny hop? +++ Never learned it (Counterstrike)

- build as close to your resources first? +++ As best as my clumsy fingers can (RTS Warcraft and Starcraft)

- kill the pylons? +++ HELL YEAH! Unless you're Protoss LOL (Starcraft)

- try to find the best use of your focus and your fury? +++ Boost to hit, boost to damage (Warmachine and Hordes)

- rest your tallest finger on W, your thumb on the space bar, your ring finger on A, your pinkie on ctrl or shift, and your index on D, even while typing? +++ Hell yeah!!! LOL!!!

- resolve things Last in First Out? +++ Ganito pa rin pala LOL! (MTG)

Gamers Unite!

No comments: