Monday, November 27, 2006

Nef



I've always been amazed at how big Warcraft really is. You got the MMORPG, you got your RTS, then there's the RTS-based DOTA, you got your WOW RPG, and there's the WOW board game; heck there's even a WOW CCG!

My brothers Koi and Jei are solid MMORPG players of WOW, but they've never even touched the WOWBG rulebook. So I get awestruck when Koi suddenly points out the specific section of a named location on the board game map. And coining the name of one of the warlords' overlords as Nef.

Nef, as most WOW guys are aware of, is Nefarion. I don't know what he does on the MMORPG but it's a huge dragon, so it must be badass. On the board game, Nef is a real monster that inflicts serious damage during combat, going through armor like the proverbial hot knife through butter.

After a business meeting of sorts with my old high school buds, we decided to give the game a go again yesterday. I played two characters from the Horde - a priest and a hunter. Tiny played a moon elf warrior while Kei played a moon elf druid. I started the game off fairly textbook, tanking both guys and leveling up together. Kei and Tiny were being their usual comical selves, ribbing each other as usual. Until they saw the distinct advantage I had working and planning together. In the end, they worked together, discovered some nice combos with their skills and equipment, and defeated Nef by turn 27. Good times definitely! Will be painting up the hero minis of the WOWBG soon enough, too.

No comments: