Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Unranked



One of the more memorable games I had that wasn't included in the WMPH ranking was due to the lack of players gaming at that time (we kinda put a requirement that in order to be ranked, there must be at least four players gaming at the same time).

I played an Irusk wargroup against Arvin's Butcher wargroup. Now, we all know how Arvin delivers a shitload of damage when Butcher calls up his Blood Frenzy feat. Couple that with the autohit Rain of Death from a pair of Devastators and you know you're in for a world of pain.

Irusk, on the other hand, has an annoying feat called Undying Loyalty. Any friendly Khadoran warrior model that dies within 14" of the Kommandant gets to stand up and fight again on a roll of 4, 5 or 6 on a D6. The +2 on all attack rolls and Fearless for one round is just added gravy for me when facing Arvin's wargroup.

At a crucial point in a Killing Fields scenario at Fortress, I held up Arvin's warjacks with my MOWDC and popped Irusk's Undying Loyalty. Arvin responded with dropping Blood Frenzy the following turn and opened up his onslaught. For those who do know, 3D6 on POW18 is not bloody amusing.

When one of his Devastators opened up, I think one or two of my MOWDC suffered horrendous damage to send them to the next life (or next game whatever). I rolled for one MOWDC for Undying Loyalty. I succeeded. Nice.

Then came a Driven Juggernaut, bringing down its massive Ice Axe on the surviving MOWDC. Evidently, I needed to roll for Undying Loyalty again. And again I succeeded on THAT MOWDC! Whoyeah!

But the Juggernaut wasn't finished. It still had an open fist to attack the undying MOWDC. Arvin made his rolls and again the loyal MOWDC was brought down. Again I had to roll for Undying Loyalty. And once more, I succeeded! YEAH!

Odds are I shouldn't have made the rolls by this time. And there I was, picking up dice and tossing them back on the table without as much as some funky gimmick or superstition that some players do. So, with the Drive ability on, the Juggernaut was able to attempt another Ice Axe attack. Again, Arvin made his rolls. Again the patriotic MOWDC bit into the ground. And again, I was made to roll for Undying Loyalty. And again, the roll defied the odds and succeeded. Man both of us were flipping!

Arvin decided enough was enough. He moved the other Devastator into Rain of Death position and opened shell. The hardy MOWDC was too far out, and would only get POW 9 but still on 3D6. Expectedly, the damage was far too much to bear, and again the MOWDC Demolisher fell for a fifth time. And as if a divine light was shining on him, again I succeeded my Undying Loyalty roll for him! WAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! Insane I tell you!

On the following turn, that Demolisher was hit by a far off ROD attack again, but the damage Arvin rolled wasn't enough to bring him down.

I won that game, holding on several Control Points. That MOWDC Demolisher survived the entire time. Truly unbelievable!

By my own wargroup's storyline, he should be promoted to Kovnik. And since I'm getting a Drakhun, he'll be that Drakhun ^_^ Is there such a thing as a Drakhun Kovnik?

I don't know what to name him though. Arvin should give him a nice Khadoran name ^_^

+++

Pics of my stuff, courtesy of Fred Escalona.











No comments: