Sunday, July 09, 2006

If You've Got The METAL, Bring It ON!

I have missed this year's Warhammer Grand Tourneys for WFB and 40K. But being a founding member of Warmachine Philippines, I really couldn't afford to miss it (WMPH's first WARMACHINE tournament). Coming from a stretch of DMing until 5am, I had to try to get some sleep so I can make it on the 10am Pitshop assembly.

Strong rain and a closed shop door granted me some breakfast time, so I had a long-time fave, Pizza Hut's Spaghetti with Meatballs, which establishment was conveniently localted right across Mang's shop. I met Fred there, who was early as well. The unexpected storm held up everyone, so the tourney proper started out around 1PM.

Expecting strong players like EJ, Emp and Joel to show up, I didn't want to hurt my head in trying to metagame and try to make foil lists against what they might field. Irusk and the Spriggan, then just sprinkle everything else. It's da Kommandant and his pet warjack LOL! Well anyway, here's what I brought:

Kommandant Irusk
Spriggan
Winter Guard Mortar Crew (x2)
Man-O-War Kovnik
Iron Fang Pikemen
Widowmakers
Greylord Ternion
Manhunter
Eiryss

Opponents fought:
1 - Mark (Severius Menoth)
2 - Jake (Brisbane Cygnar)
3 - Joel (Goreshade Cryx)
* - Carlos (Amon Ad-Raza Menoth)

+++

Severius, Game One

The table was filled with lots of terrain, which made for mad shooting for my Mortar teams. There were also trees that can be felled as weapons smack in the center of the table, so taking the objective early would be a bit foolish. I tried to draw off his units with my advance deployment troops on my right. On my left, I neutralized his grenade-throwing Zealots by engaging them with IFP, the Kovnik and the Spriggan.

I won with VP on time resolution.

+++

Brisbane, Game Two

Trashtalking galore on this game, albeit from the Cygnar side. Well-placed Mortar shots disabled the Hunter's armor-piercing armament. I then proceeded with some more surgical removal of his Bokur and Ironclad. After a Disruptor bolt from Eiryss, Brisbane was brought down by combined Khadoran arms.

+++

Goreshade, the Final Match

Pendulum against fast Cryx is always hard. Playing against the 40K GT champ makes it harder. With some good results on my dice rolling, I had managed to pacify his right-side attack. Good Mortar shots put some semblance of control on my left. In the last rounds, I was ahead 6VP to his 3VP, and had models on his table half. As a final move, he eliminated the models I had from his table half, going for objective win. With a Nightwretch surrounded by Greylords, he broke from combat (two stupid Ternion missed) and shot at my last Widowmaker on his table half, hooking him the win.

But later that evening, Joel withdrew his win, honestly claiming that the shot should not have been made because the Nightwretch had lost its head where the armament is located. Thus, the win was handed to me. BUT to everyone that was there, and to me personally, because of his noble gesture, Joel was the REAL winner of that tourney.

Amon Ad-Raza

As a closing game after the end of the tourney, Irusk faced off against the High Allegiant. With some strategic engagements, I was able to neuter his synergical tactic a bit. I also managed to bring down his Castigator that was sitting on the objective. In the end, Amon was brought down with Battle Lusted IFP.

+++

PAINT YOUR GODDAMN ARMY!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

dami mong visitors sa amerika at europe ah. pati sa south afrika may isang dot!

sa bandang pilipinas mas isang malaking dot. ako yun :P

Pinoy Wargamer said...

LOL onga noh ^_^

Sino kaya yung mga yun?

Obi Macapuno said...

may poging dot galing Australia.

ako yun. bwahehehehe!

Kyuzo said...

congrats nonetheless to you and joel dude. ;)

Pinoy Wargamer said...

Thanks. And hopefully next time, my army will be fully painted, too. And I'll have a special Khador-flavored terrain to bring as well.

Pinoy Wargamer said...

Obi, kasama mo sa dot yung mga pogi kong kapatid LOL ^_^

Adelaide Gamer said...

Dude! I like your sites. I got into GW stuff back in the seventies, they were much the same then (great addictive first idea, endless profitable followups, degenrate into minutae for rules lawyers). I've been real happy with historical miniuatures since, almost total autonomy in how you develop your hobby. What would sun tzu say?

Pinoy Wargamer said...

@pleader: Thanks for dropping by, dude. I think I'm already past the technical discussion stuff and am just enjoying the game (unless someone goes rules lawyer on me, that's only when I go back to it LOL).

Historical miniatures eh? Maybe after I finish everything I have now hehe.

@jake: LOL puro smacktalk LOL! Welcome, welcome ^_^